Thursday, July 12, 2007

A funny little thing

The three of us were out waiting for the school van to come this morning. I had picked one of our marigolds to look at with Jackson but I guess he was not too impressed with it. I asked him if he liked the pretty flower and he just shrugged at me. LOL!

Even though I had seen him shrug before a couple times, it was the first time Lee had seen it. It might seem like a little thing to a lot of people, but for Jackson it is a pretty big deal, especially if you think of all that is involved in a shrug. With this little gesture he really communicated so many different things. He understood what we said to him and that we were asking him a question that required an answer. He was able to actually move his body in a purposeful way, and almost instantly. He was able to understand that a shrug indicates ambivalence and he found that he is able to communicate that ambivalence without anyone having taught him to do that.

I think he is a pretty amazing little guy!